Thursday, January 22, 2009

Best Music of 2008

Each year I am discovering music to be my dearest passion.  Sean Francis once said to me, “without music, I wouldn’t want to live.”  With that in mind, let us begin.

2008 was quite a year for me personally.  A move to New York City, a failed relationship with someone I loved, quit my job and went to India.  Looking back, I will remember 2008 for the themes of “fear as inspiration”, love lost, resets, reflection and staring at the moments of the “in-between.”  Music today defines the time(s) that I am living, or have lived.  And as you will read, my list reflects this very notion.

Without further ado…

Albums:

The Walkmen – You & Me:  I knew from the very moment I heard this album it would at the very top of my list.  Anybody going through a break-up is likely to fall victim to the tone, lyrics and theme of this album.  Plus, being they are a Brooklyn band and all helps. Hamilton Leithauser’s voice is haunting and potent as a wasp sting.  It sounds as if he is trapped in a well, but isn’t sure he wants to be saved or not.  Choice tracks are “In The New Year”, “Seven Years of Holiday”, “The Blue Route” and “I Lost You”.

Dr. Dog – Fate:  I bought this record after recently quitting my job, was back in South Dakota house-sitting and texting Josh Hauser what album I should buy (while at a Barnes & Noble).  He texted back promptly, suggesting this album.  So thank you Josh.  The first three tracks off the album are the strongest of the year.  This band sounds as if John Lennon had a few illegitimate children and they somehow found each other and formed this band.  Truly inspiring music, which, really digs at the core of my issues, The main one being, facing the age of discontent.  “The Rabbit, The Bat & The Reindeer” is another favorite track.

The Helio Sequence – Keep Your Eyes Ahead:  This album had me hooked from the starting block.  “Lately” started playing as I was on the subway, crossing the bridge into Manhattan and it seemed like an epiphany.  All while the sunlight dappled amongst the skyscrapers of downtown and midtown.  The timing of this album and this song could not have been more fitting.  For a band with only two members, they orchestrate sonic fusion like few bands are able to do.  It sounds as if it were a soundtrack to an exploding volcano.  Bright, hot and ferocious in parts – yet symphonic.  And as the lava flows down and cools, their music is smooth, calming and collected.  “Keep Your Eyes Ahead,” “Back To This,” and “Broken Afternoon” are other standouts. 

Kanye West – 808’s & Heartbreak:  One of my late bloomers.  This album took me by absolute shock and beat me silly with a wooden spoon to the ass.  Kanye West’s experimentation doesn’t work always, but when it does, it is fucking amazing.  I can certainly relate on many issues of my own failed love life on this album, and it helps conjure up the big “fuck you!”  One other note, talking about his choice to record his voice through the Auto-Tune effect; I argue that it helps divide two different personalities of Kanye West.  One is the cocky, brash entertainer – featured on his previous three albums.  And now we have a sensitive side.  He chooses to use the Auto Tune effect to make him sound robotic, almost as if to completely disengage himself from his alter ego.  Choice trackers here are “Heartless,” “I’m Amazing,” “Love Lockdown” and “See You In My Nightmare.”

Fleet Foxes – Sun Gian EP/Fleet Foxes:  Another addition to my list is also thanks to Josh Hauser.  Just days away from moving to New York Josh slipped me the Sun Giant EP.  I don’t think there was a day on the subway I wasn’t listening to “Mykonos” or walking home late from work in the empty streets of Brooklyn smoking cigarettes while “Fortunate Son” echoed in my earphones.  Then, their full-length album was released and I immediately decided I wanted to become a pagan farmer and have these guys over for afternoon tea and late night jam sessions in the barn.  I am in awe of lead singer Robin Pecknold’s age, wisdom and voice range.  Let’s hope that by saying these guys have a very bright future ahead of them won’t spoil their follow up album.  But you gotta have hope.  

Death Cab for Cutie – Narrow Stairs:  This album wouldn’t have made the list if it hadn’t been for the closing track, “The Ice Is Getting Thinner.”  Pretty much clockwork, whenever I encounter a break-up, Death Cab for Cutie releases another album.  In many ways, it is sort of my “Chicken Soup for the Soul” album of the year.  It isn’t phenomenal, but it works for me and gets me every time.  “Cath…,” “Grapevine Fires”, “Your New Twin Sized Bed” are all standouts here.

Bon Iver – For Emma:  The indie-darling of the year.  This is one of those albums I will never forget.  It attached to me so keenly, so fittingly, and so goddamn appropriately that I almost couldn’t stand it.  For instance, I can’t tell if I should be falling in love with someone or despising the very idea of it while listening to this album – especially on the track “Skinny Love.”  What a fucking complex, deep and emotional album that moves you to the brink of tears and forces you to drink one more glass of wine and smoke one more cigarette – all while contemplating your mixed emotions.  I admire greatly too, his recording method – a hermitage in the Northwoods of Wisconsin and a true homage to Eau Claire, WI (in honor of one Dan Rude). 

Lil Wayne – Tha Carter III & T.I. – Paper Trail:  It is these two rappers who prevented me from completing my top ten list.  For one, I had to ask myself, “Can I really put them in my top ten?”  With some mid-December encouragement and enthusiasm from Matthew McGlennen, I got hooked.  Lil Wayne drops some of the sickest beats I’ve ever heard (for instance listen to “Let the Beat Build”) and offers up lyrics that speak for our youthful generation (aside from the explicit sexual references).  T.I. is a guilty pleasure (a little), only because I think I could see myself being best friends with this guy.  He is wiser than you give him credit for, and I find myself agreeing with many of the topics he raps about.  Especially about “Patron on Ice” and “Sex so wet and so tight”.  Plus, he will fly me to wherever he is to take part in “Whatever You Like.”  “Slide Show, “My Life, My Entertainment” are favorites of Paper Trails.  For Tha Carter III:  “Mr. Carter,” “A Milli,” “Tie My Hands” and “Mrs. Officer.”

Honorable Mentions:

Cut Copy – In Ghosts Colours:  Such an up-beat, colorful and spry album wrapped in heartache.  I danced (within my head) numerous times on the subway to many of their songs here.  It helped put one in front of the other when it often times seemed impossible to do.

TV On The Radio:  I anticipate that by this time next year, this album will have surpassed many on my list.  Still I am waiting for it to really click for me – I know it is there, I just need more time, dissection and dialogue with others. 

Miscellaneous and Other Musings

How About Some Favorite Tracks First.

Darando – “Didn’t I”:  A serendipitous song to say the least.  As SXSW was going on, I read about this man.  The relationship with (my now ex) was clearly coming to an end, and convenient enough, she was at SXSW.  This is a real deep cut – both in sound (it was recorded back in the 70’s) and it’s abundant meaning to me at the time.  One of my all time favorite soul songs.  This is a fucking treasure.

Kings of Leon – “Sex on Fire”:  I was at the All Points West Festival here in New York when I first heard this song.  I loved it from that point on.  A rousing, pounding epic.  Great stuff from these dapper young lads from the South.

The Presets – “This Boy’s In Love”: A shit ton of Toddy (an alcoholic beverage made from fermented palm tree sap) in my belly, topped with a couple strong Kingfisher beers, blinded by oncoming India traffic, a suspension of disbelief and the foresight to include my iPod with today's Toddy journey over to Kerala - This Song Came Alive! 

Downloaded the song right before leaving for India, recommended by Goldstein.  My soul, my heart, my mind are on fire with every lyric, beat, back beat and piano hammer.

The Secret Machines – “I Never Thought To Ask”: This song embodies my efforts to say goodbye to all the troubling matters I left in the US while in India.  Saying goodbye to memories wrapped around the woman you were deeply in love with.  Saying goodbye to behaviors brought on by unhappiness with oneself and one place.  Imagine it as if it were your final dance at senior prom (in the eighties as well) – a memory to want to forget but truly never will.

The Black Keys – “Strange Times” – My anthem of the year.  A song that wraps up all that is going on around us, in our own lives (especially my own) and puts it on the table for the butcher to have his say.  Strange Times indeed, I mean fuck, we are inaugurating our first black president.  I knew something great would happen by listening to this song. 

Musical Experiences:

Radiohead – Live @ Lollapaolloza (Chicago, IL) and All Points West Festival (New York, NY):  It is a religious experience seeing this band play.  All there is to say about it.

My Morning Jacket – Live @ Madison Square Garden (New York, NY):  What a fantastic way to bring in the New Year.  Scrumplet had joined me in New York, dressed to the nines (both of us in black ties) and set off to see Jim James and company rock our fucking brains out from 9:30pm to 1am January 1st.  They even covered Curtis Mayfield.

Wilco – Live @ Lollapalooza (Chicago, IL):  Is there not a better stage for this band?  Their home city, headlining and at the biggest music festival in the area?  Couldn’t pass this one up.  I remember bringing two beers (one for Tyler and one for myself) from the back of the crowd virtually to the front without barley spilling a drop.  An act of god really.  I then proceeded to polish off the bottle of Dewar’s in my backpack and cannot remember quite how I made it back to Tyler’s place.  But Wilco never sounded better.

No comments: